Driving directions from SJO Airport (approximately 20 minutes)
- As you exit the SJO airport, make a right.
- Immediately after exiting the airport you will go under the Pan-American Highway and take the ramp to the right following the sign for Alajuela. This ramp will loop around and merge onto the main highway.
- Make your way immediately to the right lane and take the first off ramp to your right, again following the sign for Alajuela.
- Take this road about 2 kilometers past the Mall Internacional on your left.
- Go to the second traffic light and make a right.
- Continue straight through several traffic lights. You will pass a McDonald’s on your right.
- Two blocks after the McDonald’s, follow the flow of traffic which will be making a left turn (there is a Martinizing dry cleaning store on the corner.)
- After this turn, continue straight about 6 blocks.
- At a traffic light you will see a building on the right with Coca-Cola signs painted on it.
- Take a right at this corner.
- Just after the turn you will see a large red structure on your left, which is a soccer stadium.
Start here if you are traveling from within the province of Alajuela
- Starting from “el stadio”, the soccer stadium in Alajuela: Start measuring!
- Exactly 7 kilometers from here, toward Carrizal, you will find a cantina (Bar) on the left called the “Apolo 15”.
- Make a sharp left turn that is almost a U-turn and go 700 meters.
- Stay to the left on the paved road until you come to a huge stone wall on your left.
- Stop at the first cream-colored gate where a guard is posted. The guard will check in with our reception desk and direct you where to go.
Pura Vida Retreat & Spa
Dialing the resort from Costa Rica: 2-483-0033
Dialing the resort from the US (678) 388-9564
Dialing US reservations (770) 483-0238
Villas Pura Vida Retreat Center
Apartado 1112, Alajuela 4050, Costa Rica
800 Mts SW From Minisuper Pavas
Pavas, Carrizal, Alajuela, 020103 Costa Rica
Pura Vida staff are available to assist with guest services at reception from 7:30am to 10pm each day, and staff is on-call around the clock in case of emergencies. Everyone in office, the yoga teachers and the massage therapists all speak English.
Check in/Check Out
Check in time is 2pm and consists of some brief paperwork and a welcome orientation.
Check out time is 11:00am. During check out, we’ll settle any remaining balance due from expenses incurred during your stay. Pura Vida Retreat & Spa accepts cash, traveler’s checks, and all major credit cards on site.
Reminder: your balance should be paid 1 week prior to your arrival by credit card or Pay Pal.
Package prices do not include tips for the general staff of 50 people working at Pura Vida Retreat & Spa to ensure that our standards of quality and service are exceptional.
Tipping is discretionary, and we recommend that each guest leave a gratuity of at least $50 per week. Our kitchen staff, housekeeping team, gardeners, maintenance crew, drivers, yoga, fitness and office staff all take great pride in their work and are honored to serve you. Staff tips
are pooled together weekly and distributed equally among the hospitality team. We ask that you please tip your massage therapist separately – the U.S. standard of 15 to 20% — preferably in cash at the time of treatment, or added to the treatment service receipt. It is customary to tip tour guides as a token of your gratitude for their service as well.
Free Wi-Fi is available in our restaurant, guest lounge, and pool area.
Computers with high-speed internet access are also available for complimentary use in our guest lounge.
Most cell phones work in Costa Rica, but you may need to contact your provider for assistance selecting the correct service.
A phone is available for use in our guest lounge for a rate of $5 per 15 minutes.
Laundry service is available to our guests at a charge of $8 per load to wash, dry and fold.
We have bottled water in your room and at the bar, as well as bottled water stations throughout the property to refill personal bottles. Water at Pura Vida is safe to drink from every faucet on the property. We filter our water on the premises with both a 1-micron filter and a UV filter. Countrywide, water quality standards in Costa Rica are generally quite high and visitors normally do not have any problems. There is now alkaline water available in the restaurant at no additional cost.
Children and infants are welcome are Pura Vida.
Local childcare is available upon request for a modest fee. Please contact the resort office to arrange: 011-506-2-483-0033 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times. While here, kids can use our pool and hot tub. There is also a guest lounge with board games, magazines and books. Children really enjoy our eco-excursions, too (although some have age minimums).
Being one of the most bio-diverse countries on the planet, insect life is abundant in Costa Rica. Luckily, the elevation at Pura Vida keeps our resort remarkably mosquito-free.
Our resort is very secure, yet as a standard precaution we recommend you store your valuables (cash, credit cards, passports, plane tickets, etc) in the safe available in the office. Safety deposit boxes are also available. Please check with the reception desk.
The area around Pura Vida is also safe to walk, and many people (male and female) enjoy a walk or run in the surrounding neighborhood and coffee fields.
Generally, Costa Rica is quite safe. Like any place, normal precautions and care should be taken depending upon where you are visiting. Violent crime is rare in Costa Rica while theft of personal property (from automobiles and hotel rooms) is more common. Big cities, beach areas and anyplace with a concentration of tourists require more caution.
Sustainability and conservation
As proud leaders of the green movement we are always looking for new ways to support this ongoing mission.
We have a food compost on the property. You will find labeled recycling bins for food and other disposable items in the dining hall and elsewhere. Please be mindful about what you put in each bin.
Water & Energy Conservation
Your rooms are turned over each day. If you choose to re-use your towels leave them hanging on the towel rack. If you require new towels, simply place your used towels on the floor. The fresh bed linens in your room are not changed again unless you request this be done.
Our plumbing is on a septic system. We ask that you kindly discard used tissue, toilet paper and feminine hygiene products into the bins provided, not into the toilets. The bins are emptied daily, and we are glad to send housekeeping to freshen them sooner if needed.